I finally finished crocheting a duck for my son, over a year after starting it.
Daisy is a personal copy of a plush toy that is officially licensed off of the Daisy book series by Jane Simmons, a sweet and very enjoyable series of children’s books, by the way. Below are a couple of pictures I took of the real plush Daisy last year.
Copying Daisy came about when the preschool my son was attending incorporated the plush toy as part of a book bag that children could borrow and take home to read. The Daisy book bag with plush toy was among the most popular with the kids. My son really wanted his very own Daisy, and he cried about it. Often. Unfortunately, in searching the Internet, it seems that this specific plush toy is not readily available, so I thought I’d try my hand at making our own personal copy. The real Daisy is very cute and trying to capture her character was not easy, especially for someone like me, who rarely crochets.
I wrote nothing down as I went about making Daisy, since I have no idea how to accurately document all of the shaping of a crocheted amigurumi. There was so much crocheting and ripping-out of work.
I used mostly Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash and I sewed a little bag of plastic pellets to put inside the body to give her some heft.
Embroidered bullion knots were used to copy the curls found on top of the head of the original plush toy, which represent the curled feathers on Daisy’s head in the illustrations of the book series, and the eyes are embroidered French knots.
I copied every aspect of the original Daisy, right down to how the duck bill was sewn to the head, because it adds to the character of this well-designed plush toy. The shaping of the head, though, was beyond my crocheting abilities, and I just could never quite get it to look more like the original.
I even constructed the legs and feet much like the original, and even sewed the legs to the body in the same manner so that they would have the same floppy movement. Call me a die hard perfectionist, I guess.
The only thing I didn’t quite copy was the wings. I just couldn’t figure-out how to crochet them as a direct copy, so I “winged-it” and designed something that would serve our Daisy well, although I did sew them to the body in the same manner as the original.
It was such a long, drawn-out affair, but it was all worth it. Daisy was hatched without much fanfare and happily welcomed by its recipient. I’m pleased with how she turned-out and, more importantly, so is my son.
So ends my duck tale.