Trellis Scarf Completed, or, A Pointed Problem

It’s done! It’s done! Trellis Scarf was fun to knit; the pattern (Interweave Knits, March 2006) created by Evelyn A. Clark offered just enough stitch variation to keep it entertaining, but not so much that it could not be memorized. The yarn, a prize from Tiennie last year, was one skein of hand-dyed machine washable merino, Lace Wing Sock, in Crimson from Angora Valley and was a perfect knitting companion and behaved itself well. Ironically, and this was not planned, Tiennie announced the winners of her yarn giveaway on April 14, 2007 and I finished it on April 9, almost one year later. Thank you, Tiennie! Of course, it didn’t take that long to make, it’s just that I don’t have a lot of knitting time since my son stopped taking naps a year ago.

The only thing I did not like about the way the scarf ended, and I mean this as no criticism of the designer, but it just bugged me the way the end did not exactly mirror the beginning. The way the pattern ends is without the points that it started with at the beginning, and although blocking would probably have created the points, I was a obsessed about it and just had to have points knitted into the end of the scarf. So even though I’d technically finished the scarf on April 7, I ripped the end out numerous times as I sought a solution. I researched numerous books in my substantial library, but found no solution, all in search of pointers on making points. Finally, to achieve that end I found Stephanie on Ravelry, and visited her website for her solution to these points. Poignantly, Stephanie was apparently equally obsessed with this pointed problem, and she went to great pains to solve it. She even created a chart and has made it available to others in search of the Holy Grail of Trellis Scarf endpoints. Blessings upon you Stephanie!

In a nutshell, what Stephanie did was where there should be a point on the end, she knit into the front, then the back, and then the front of a stitch, but when I did that with my yarn it created a big whole with the one stitch from which three were created. So I did something really weird: I knit into the stitch below the next live stitch on the left needle (making st 1), then knit into the live stitch itself (making st 2), and then again into the same stitch below but on the other side of the stitch 2 (making st 3). Finally, when blocked, the end sufficiently mimics the points at the beginning to satisfy my need for perfection. Whew! So, without further adieu, I present to you, Trellis Scarf:






The third picture is the beginning of the whole thing, with its lovely points, and the fifth picture is the end with its mimicked points. For a comparison, the picture below shows the mimicked endpoints on the left and the beginnging endpoints on the right.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Trellis Scarf Completed, or, A Pointed Problem

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s