I was making really good progress on Cabled Coat, and had completed about
1/4 1/8 of it when I measured it and found that it was too big. In checking the gauge on the piece that I’d completed, I found the same maddening thing happened that has be happening for many years when I knit a garment: I start-out fine and then my gauge loosens as I progress. Frustrating! So I frogged it back down to where the gauge is right, about 60 rows, and will try it on smaller needles and see how that goes. Now I remember that it’s not just because I don’t have a lot of knitting time that I don’t knit sweaters much anymore. I’ve been here before: Stitch Gauge Hell.
Stitch gauge hell is when I dutifully make a stitch gauge and then move on to the garment and everything is just fine until I get really comfortable and start knitting really quickly and the gauge changes. Then, I stop everything, set the sweater aside, pick up an unused skein of yarn for the project and a different sized pair of needles, make a new gauge, and the gauge is….wrong! Frog it. So I get the next numbered sized of needles, make a new gauge, and the gauge is really wrong. Frog it. So now I pick another set of needles in a size in the other direction, and the gauge is really wrong. Frog it again. Then, I pick up the needles I originally used on the sweater, and the gauge is correct. I go back to where I left off on the sweater, and everything is fine for a bit, and then the gauge goes off again! At this point I am not going to make any new gauges, I’m just going to try to knit with smaller needles with the same tension in my hands as when I knit with the larger needles, and check the gauge as I go along.
The Japanese confectionery (wagashi) class my mother gave me for Christmas was a lot of fun Saturday. Going to the class on such short notice was made possible only because my mother worked with my husband to make sure that I had nothing else scheduled that day, secretly signing me up for it weeks in advance, and then giving me the class on Christmas. I took some cell phone pictures to share.
We made two sweets; the first one was nerikiri, which had sweet lima bean paste on the outside and sweet red bean paste inside.
Then we made hanabiramochi, with white mochi (sweet rice dough or paste) on the outside, and inside was pink mochi, sweet lima bean paste with miso (misoan) and strips of candied gobo (burdock root). The matcha accompanied it very nicely.
With leftover misoan and gobo from the class, I went to Uwajimaya and bought the remaining ingredients to make some rather rough-looking hanabiramochi the next day. I seriously doubt that I’d make wagashi on a regular basis, but I’ll definitely take more classes.
Happy New Year!