Here’s how Rib Knitted Shell looks after knitting up the front, through the shoulder straps, completing the neck-opening and armhole shaping, all as one piece. I don’t know if it’s an error but the pattern states that the straps should be knitted for a length of 4″ to 6″ (depending on sweater size) after the neck-opening, but when I got to the prescribed length it just didn’t look right; it didn’t seem to correspond with how it fits the model in the photo, so I made it twice that length and so far that seems to look better.
The tricky part of the armhole shaping is that I didn’t want the jagged look of an edge decrease and increase, so I decreased and increased a few stitches in from the edge. That in turn, messed with the K2P2-rib pattern of the entire shell, so I had to do some odd placements of the adding and subtracting of stitches without it being too obvious of the change. The downside is that last set of purl stitches closest to the edge decreased from two purl stitches to one purl stitch throughout the shoulder straps, until an increase occurred again on the back of the shell. You can see in the photo bellow that one set of purl stitches is narrower than the others; I hope that isn’t too obvious when it’s worn. I guess it’s kind of odd, but I really couldn’t come up with a better solution.
Knitting has a less prominent place in my days right now due to the fact that we’re moving to a new house in the area.
What a mess! It’ll be good when the move is done. In the meantime, I’ve given our son a flag to wave and emergency provisions in case he gets lost in the cardboard maze so we can send out a search and rescue team.